The Enlighten Festival is back in 2018 bigger, brighter and longer than ever!
Our beloved Canberra will transform into a hive of activity with an extended program of free and ticketed events and activities, plus two new and exciting event precincts – Canberra city and the Australian National University (ANU).
The showstopper for the festival is still the ever enchanting Enlighten Illuminations – stunning large-scale architectural projections and installations that transform some of the capital’s most loved and iconic buildings including the Museum of Australian Democracy, the National Portrait Gallery, National Library of Australia and Questacon, as the Parliamentary Triangle becomes a vibrant canvas showcasing Australian talent, roving entertainers, art installations, live music and enchanting performances.
The festival this year has been extended to include some of Canberra’s other most popular autumn events – the Canberra Balloon Spectacular, Symphony in the Park, Lights! Canberra! Action!, Canberra Day and Hit 104.7 Skyfire.
Foodies will love the sizzling, bustling Enlighten Night Noodle Markets on the shores of Lake Burley Griffin; it is still the ultimate food and drink precinct featuring local and interstate street food and family activities. Plus the capital’s major attractions are waiting to be explored as they open their doors to host an array of exclusive after-dark ticketed events at the National Film and Sound Archives, National Zoo and Aquarium, the Australian National Botanic Gardens, Australian Parliament House, National Arboretum Canberra, the Royal Australian Mint, National Archives and more.
With so much to do, here are our top tips for the festival:
- Have a feast at the Enlighten Night Noodle Markets
- Visit the new precinct at ANU – Enlighten Minds. The ANU campus will have vibrant projections, fire-side chats and special Saturday night market. There will also be public lectures, exhibitions and more
- Party with the National Library of Australia as they celebrate 50 years with a 60s themed party
- Experience the strange, beautiful and unexpected aftercare at Neon Circus at the National Gallery of Australia – this is a free event but bookings are essential
- For the kids (big and little) flashing fairy floss at Questacon is a must
For more information, the full Enlighten 2018 program and ticketing information, visit www.enlightencanberra.com
What: Enlighten Festival 2018, Canberra
When: 2-18 March 2018