Do you have a favourite old movie? Mine hands down is Gone with the Wind with Vivian Leigh and Clark Gable, this 1930s epic civil war drama made a big impression on my teenage self. The scenery and classic one liners (my favourite being the last words spoken by Butler to Leigh at the end of the movie “Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn”) kept me watching again & again. Of all the times I have watched the movie, I have never had an opportunity to watch it on the big screen, until now.
The Hollywood Retro Film Festival is coming to Canberra exclusive to Dendy Cinemas. Co-curated by the legendary Margaret Pomeranz (ABC’s At The Movies) the festival showcases the greats of cinema history, from the 1930s through to 1960, digitally re-mastered and brought to the big screen.
Twenty-two Hollywood classics, many rarely seen on the big screen and all beautifully presented in pristine digital format, feature in this festival from November 26 – December 13.
Some highlights of the first Hollywood Retro Film Festival include:
- Digitally remastered icons Gone with the Wind (I can’t wait to see it), Casablanca and Citizen Kane.
- Australian Premiere Screenings of digitally remastered Sunset Boulevard, the 1950 Billy Wilder classic starring William Holden and Gloria Swanson and On the Waterfront, the 1954 American crime drama film directed by Elia Kazan starring Marlon Brando.
- Australian Premiere Screenings of digitally remastered Spartacus, Stanley Kubrick’s historical epic starring Kirk Douglas.
- Seldom-seen digitally remastered treats The Ghost & Mrs Muir and The Razor’s Edge.
- Many festival films have special pre-show trailers with reflections on the upcoming feature from auteurs Steven Spielberg and Martin Scorsese and world-famous critic Leonard Maltin.
Thanks to our friends at Dendy Cinemas Canberra we have 3 x double passes to attend The Hollywood Retro Film Festival!
To win, simply tell us your favourite retro film in the comments below and the tickets could be yours.
Dates: November 26 – December 13
Tickets: To book a ticket visit http://bit.ly/1iSOxzo for more information.
Tickets are just $15 for adults or $12 for Club Dendy members, students and seniors.
Tickets are now on sale and bookings are highly recommended.
Full list of films:
12 Angry Men (1957) * All about Eve (1950) * Camille (1936) * Casablanca (1942) * Citizen Kane (1941) * Gone with the Wind (1939) * How Green Was My Valley (1941) * It Happened One Night (1934) * It’s A Wonderful Life (1946) * Jane Eyre (1944) * On the Waterfront (1954) * Sabrina (1954) * Singin’ in the Rain (1952) * Spartacus (1960) * Sunset Boulevard (1950) * The Apartment (1960) * The Best Years of Our Lives (1946) * The Ghost and Mrs Muir (1947) * The Grapes of Wrath (1940) * The Maltese Falcon (1941) * The Razor’s Edge (1946) * The Searchers (1956)
*Winner will be chosen and announced at 7pm on Sunday the 22nd of November. Tickets to selected date subject to availability.