If you were designing a cocktail for Spring – what would be your inspiration?
For Nathan Lamont the food and beverage manager at Marble & Grain, steakhouse and bar in Braddon, it is bringing out the floral aromas that he smells when cutting fresh flowers from his garden.
Nathan, who has been mixing cocktails for over 15 years, wanted to design a special cocktail for Floriade that captured the essence of spring in a glass. His creation ‘Reflection of Spring’ looks and smells as pretty as it tastes.
Blending strawberries, gin, smashed mint leaves, rose water, lime juice, lemon juice, pasteurised egg white and Vok parfait armour, to add a touch of lavender – the floral aroma is un-missable.
‘Drink it with your eyes first’
‘Drink it with your eyes first’ – Nathan tells us. So we do. The colour is rose blushed pink, with a layer of light white foam that you want to scoop up off the top.
Our first sip is sweet, with the rose and lavender tones mixing through, and then the tartness of lime cuts through, adding extra zing.. And, the foam? It is really good; I may have scrapped the rest of it out of my glass.
Marble & Grain will be serving their ‘Reflection of Spring’ cocktail through spring, and with their new outdoor dining area opening soon, it is a perfect time to plan a catch-up with friends.
Create your own
When it comes to creating your own Spring cocktail, Nathan suggests –
- starting with a good base like vodka or gin that will absorb flavours
- experiment with different flavours to see what works for you
- chill you glass with ice, you want a cold glass so your drink tastes refreshing.
What you need to know:
- Marble & Grain is open seven days
- 25 Mort Street, Braddon, Canberra ACT 2606
- parking is available under The Avenue hotel, entrance off Northbourne Ave
* Marble & Grain invited the So Frank team in to sample their new cocktail.